Mujadara is ancient and a very traditional Middle Eastern dish, easy to make, and most satisfying, this dish can be served as main course or a side dish, either way everyone will be happy you made it!
(Mujadara) Lentils and Rice
For the fried crispy onion garnish
- Place the lentils in a small saucepan with 2 cups of the water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat and simmer, cover until the lentils are par-boiled (10-12 minutes). Remove from the heat, drain the lentils and set them aside.
- In a large sauté pan with a lid, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced onions and cook until the onions are dark golden brown, (about 15 minutes), sprinkle the onions with a teaspoon of salt as they cook.
- Carefully pour the remaining 2 cups of water, bring the water to a boil over high heat, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir the rice and par-cooked lentils into the onion mixture. Add a good dash of kosher salt, pepper past, and the cumin and mix.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and lentils are both cooked through (about 15 to 20 minutes). add more water if the rice and lentil are not fully cooked.
- If you are adding the the fried onions, work on them while the rice and lentils are cooking. In a large skillet, heat about 2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. When a small piece of onion bubbles vigorously, the oil is ready. Fry the onions in batches until they are crispy and deeply golden brown. Transfer the crispy onion rings to a paper towel-lined plate to get rid of excess oil.
- Let the rice and lentils rest covered for about 10 minutes undisturbed, transfer to serving bowls and garnish with parsley and Top each bowl with the crispy onion rings.
- u003cliu003eIf you choose to add the crispy onion garnish (highly recommended), to save time, you can start this while the rice and lentils cooku003c/liu003eu003cliu003eBlack and brown lentils are best option for mujadara, but green lentils will work as well.u003c/liu003e