Vegan Cabbage Rolls
These Asian-inspired vegan cabbage rolls, cabbage leaves stuffed with a rice and veggies, and served alongside a garlic sauce. this recipe is versatile, gluten-free, and naturally vegetarian and vegan!
- Cook rice per package instructions some salt in a saucepan until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot with water to a boil, then add the cabbage leaves and cook them for 2-3 minutes until softened. Place the cooked leaves into a bowl with cold water, then set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a skillet, add the onion, ginger, garlic, carrot, zucchini, and mushrooms. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, then add Soy Sauce, and all spices. Cook for additional 1-2 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add it to the skillet and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and taste the mixture. Add more seasonings if needed.
- Place a cabbage leaf on a flat surface and put about 1 1/2 – 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture in the middle. Fold in the sides and the top over the filling and roll it up. should have 12 rolls
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a skillet, and once hot add a few of the cabbage rolls (do not overcrowd) Pan sear for a few minutes from both sides. The rolls should be golden brown.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, then add ginger, garlic, soy sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup. Let it cook for about 1-2 minutes. Mix the water with cornstarch to make a slurry and pour it into the skillet. Add the spices and cook the sauce for a few more minutes until thickened.
- Pour the sauce of the cabbage rolls and garnish with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
- Cabbage: You can use a cabbage of choice for this recipe.
- Veggies: Choose your favorite veggies. Just make sure they have a similar cooking time.
- Serve: You can serve it as a meal alone or with pan-roasted potatoes, quinoa pilaf, or just bread.