Spinach & Mushroom Boreg
Boreg (also spelled beorek, borag or börek) is a popular staple in many Armenian and Middle Eastern households. Every Armenian family has its own recipe for these savory pastries that is often passed down for generations. “This egg-free, dairy-free Vegan Spinach & Mushroom Boreg with puff pastry, is as pleasing as the traditional “Spinach Boreg” version we all grew up with, but with a healthy twist.
Try it, promise you won’t regret it!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line with parchment paper.
- Preparing the filling: Chop onions and mushrooms in small pieces, put in a large frying pan, and sauté for several minutes until onions are softened. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable (or olive) oil, stir, and toss for a few minutes until onions and mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Next, add the chopped spinach and sauté for several minutes until spinach is limp, add all spices, and stir frequently.
- Cut the square puff pastry in half, add spoonful of the filling on one side, and fold the dough over, fork all three sides and place on baking sheet.
- Brush olive oil over each individual boreg.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, switching halfway between higher and lower racks. until the boreg’s are golden color.
- Serve as an appetizer or as a main dish.