Eggplant & Mushroom Fritters
This Eggplant and Mushroom fritters recipe is not as basic as you think. The addition of crumbled feta cheese gives them a cheesy Greek twist that is oh so irresistible, easy to make and a great way to get those vegetables.
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Cut the eggplants in half, then score the flesh deeply in a diamond cross-hatch pattern with two or three long cuts, rotating the eggplant to make another set of cuts.
Brush a little olive oil on the flesh and season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place eggplant halves flesh side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Scoop out the flesh and add it to a large bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well.
- Transfer mixed ingredients to an oven safe dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil, bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve fritters with a yogurt-based sauce, marinara, or whipped feta cheese. (optional)
- You can use a variety of cheeses in this recipe. Feta, kefalotiri, grated parmesan, Pecorino Romano, gruyere, etc.
- For a quick and easy sauce to go with these fritters mix: 1 cup of Greek yogurt, a pinch of sea salt, 1 tbsp vinegar, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp chopped mint.