- ¾ cup small macaroni such as ditalini, small shells, or stars (pastina)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups lentils
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 4 cups water (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until almost al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened. Then add the lentils, broth, and water, cover and bring the mixture to a boil. When the mixture comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Stir in the cooked pasta, tomato paste, garlic, lemon juice, and cumin. Season with salt and hot pepper.