Butternut Squash Casserole
Butternut squash has rich, nutty flavor, and it’s very healthy and hearty, enjoy the mix of flavors in this casserole, my family loves this dish, I can’t make it enough.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Prepare a parchment paper lined baking sheet, the larger the better.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, maple syrup, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine cubed butternut squash, sweet potatoes and add half of the seasoned liquid mixture you made earlier, toss to mix. Place the cubed veggies in a single layer on the baking sheet (use 2 baking sheets if necessary) to get an even roast on all sides. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning once half-way through baking, until softened and with a golden-brown crust.
- Meanwhile cook the rice, add the other half of oil and maple mixture, stir, cover the pot with the lid, and reduce the heat to its very lowest setting to help the rice cook evenly (for about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, add the cranberries, raisins and nuts Cover again and let it sit covered, so the steam will plump the rice and fruits. When ready, taste and see if it needs more salt.
- The roasted butternut squash, sweet potatoes and rice will likely be ready at the same time. To arrange the meal and serve, take a taller baking dish, and place a layer of veggies, then a layer of rice and repeat until you fill up the dish. If your ingredients are slightly underdone, cover the baking dish that you just assembled and place in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. Serve warm or let it cool and serve later.